Mutual Evaluation Reports
Defenders Protection Initiative (DPI) in collaboration with the Uganda National NGO Forum organized a dialogue with the Financial Intelligence Authority (FIA) and various civil society organizations (CSOs) in Kampala on Monday 12th February 2018. The objectives were:
• To understand the mandate of the FIA
• To seek clarity on the Anti-Money-Laundering Act and its impact on CSOs in Uganda
• To understand the compliance requirements of the FIA
For the report, see here.
A webinar on ‘Introducing the Financial Action Task Force’ took place on Friday, 16 June 2017 for civil society partners in Uganda. The agenda was as follows:
• Welcome and moderation: Yona Wanjala, Defenders Protection Initiative
• Introduction: James Savage, Fund for Global Human Rights
• Setting the scene: Yona Wanjala, Defenders Protection Initiative
• What is the FATF and why is it important?: Lia van Broekhoven, Human Security Collective
• Why does civil society have to know about FATF?: Lia van Broekhoven, Human Security Collective
• FATF and Uganda: Sangeeta Goswami, Human Security Collective
• Scope for engagement: Sangeeta Goswami, Human Security Collective
• Questions, comments
There was lively engagement and debate, and a clear appetite to follow-up on the issues discussed.
For a recording of the webinar, see here.
For the desk study on ‘Financial regulation drivers
for current restrictions of civil society in Uganda’, on which this webinar was based, see here.
Check how Uganda fares in Civicus’ Enabling Environment Index and in Freedom House’ comparative assessment of global political rights and civil liberties
Draft NGO bill which aims to increase state control over NGOs. See here. For a civil society position paper on this NGO Bill 2015 see here.